Using Assert for Trace statements (was: [lazarus] Lazarus Pascal code)

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Wed May 3 07:40:15 EDT 2000

Marc Weustink wrote:

> Hi, In it's current form trace gives to much output. If I want to
> debug a certain piece of code I'm interested in I use WriteLNs. Once
> in a while when pieces are finished I move them to trace or remove
> them. I have to admit that some (most ?) of them are still hanging
> around. In cases I want to have the complete picture I use trace. It
> would be a nice feature to have a kind of trace levels/types.

But you have total control over how much of the code actually has Trace
turned on. You can just turn on one unit if that is all you are testing.
You don't have to turn on Trace for all the units or the whole
application. In fact you don't even have to turn it on for the whole
unit. There is no reason why you can't place your own

  {$ASSERTIONS ON}
      .
      .
      .
      .
  {$ASSERTIONS OFF}

at specific points in a unit until you have worked out problems.

Having levels would not be a problem. I'll see about adding that.