[lazarus] Delphi incompatibility

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Mon May 8 09:58:52 EDT 2000

Jeff Wormsley wrote:

> On 05/08/2000 at 6:25 AM Kevin Berry wrote:
>
> >Sure, that sounds fine, but why change it to be
> >different from Delphi?  That makes it harder to
> >port applications.  Is there a good reason for
> >it?  It isn't that critical obviously and if
> >there is a good reason then that is fine.
>
> Isn't it better to make something better than Delphi?  There are going
> to be porting issues, no mattter what you do.  If there is a better
> way to do something, then by all means do it better.  If it is no
> better, then stick to the Delphi way, to reduce the issues of porting.

I agree and have been vocal about this from the beginning. I think that
Delphi should be the pattern we follow but it doesn't need to match it
to the exact letter. The idea of being able to port Delphi code isn't so
that it can always work in BOTH Lazarus and Delphi at the same time. It
is to ease the porting to Lazarus. We would expect that once you port a
Delphi application to Lazarus you would continue to use the ported
version in Lazarus for Linux AND Windows. Why continue to use Delphi if
Lazarus allows you to perform the same thing in both platforms without
any more porting.

Now of course there are going to be ALOT of Delphi snippets that just
will not port in the near future and will require the developer to
continue to use Delphi. I'm thinking of things like OCX, ActiveX or
whatever Microsoft wants to call them this week.     :-)

But if you are using those thing they will never port directly to Linux
anyway so the need for the exact porting of Delphi when using those
types of things is meaningless.