[lazarus] Lazarus Object Documentation

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri May 19 11:07:34 EDT 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Robert Scott Horning wrote:

> Hello...
>
>     I'm new to this mailing list, but I'm a long-time Pascal/Delphi
> developer (about 15+ years with Pascal, and about 4+ for Delphi) and I'd
> like to pitch in a little bit with Lazarus to try and help get it going.
>
>     Before I start jumping in with some new components, I need to get a
> little better aquatinted with the existing code anyway.  What I'd like
> to do is try and start a "Lazarus" documentation effort for each one of
> the objects in a manner similar to the Borland help documentation, but
> with some much better examples and explanations for the properties,
> methods, and events.  I would envision this as a series of web pages,
> but I'd like to also know who else is also working on anything even
> remotely like what I'm discussing.  I know that this is somewhat
> automated by pulling stuff from the unit files themselves, but this is
> also limiting because the cross-links aren't usually present and
> sometimes the explanations are not quite as well done as they could be.

Nevertheless, probably the best is to enhance the existing comments.
Pasdoc supports pulling the explanations from an external file.

It is therefor quite feasible to work on the documentation in the separate
files, and just insert the needed comments in the source files, so
the structure of the documentation is generated correctly.

It would of course be nice if pasdoc could check for each method/field/whatever
whether it can find a comment block in the used textfiles. This would obliviate
the need for the comments in the sources.

In any case I think that it is a requirement to use pasdoc, because it is
the only 'structured' way of handling the generating of documentation.

Michael.