[lazarus] Lazarus Object Documentation

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Sat May 20 15:25:29 EDT 2000

You mentioned in the past that you were going to document 2 files so we can see an example on how to document the files so PASDOC can use them.  Can you do this and use the external documentation feature?  I know you have nothing better to do (joke).  :-)

I would be interested in how this external file thing works....

Thanks
Shane

>>> mhess at miraclec.com 05/19/00 02:58PM >>>
My 2 cents.

I would like to see us continue with PasDoc if at all possible.
Currently we are one of the major users of PasDoc. So that being the
case if we need a feature it is an easy matter to ask the developer and
he adds it. Currently it provides HTML and LaTex output. It would be
great if we could get XML output. Then we could manipulate and combine
that into a real manual at some later date.

Currently the output from PasDoc seems limited due to the fact that
virtually on comments are available in the code. More comments better
documentation. I think the best way to attack it is to use the external
file for the comments. I find that excessive comments in the source code
makes the code harding to read and edit. Placing the comments in an
external file will let you be as verbose as you wish since it will only
be used by the documentation tool. If we generate the documentation from
the source code then we know that the documentation is as close to the
current code base as possible. If it is done as a totally separate
effort then it can become stagnate and get further and further behind
the actual coding effort. However if comments aren't add the same thing
will occur.

I would also like to automatically generate the documentation on an
almost daily bases. I have not implemented it yet due to the fact that
there are next to no comments available making the documentation very
limited in usefulness. If we start get some more comments and examples
included in the comments file then I can automate the documentation
build and it will be on the web site daily with the latest information.