[lazarus] Question: Registry

Jeff Wormsley daworm at cdc.net
Mon Nov 6 11:35:58 EST 2000

On 11/06/2000 at 9:34 AM Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>Is there any consideration to be using the registry components developed for WINE?
>(http://www.winehq.com/)  At least this way there is ongoing support for the registry without
>having to tie up resources in Lazarus, and it is an existing standard.

I think the big question is how can you make it "cross-platform".  AFAIK, the only branch that could be "easily" cross platform would be HKEY_USERS, and even that is problematic.  Things like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are just too OS specific to be cross platform, and you would end up with a HUGE amount of code to try to emulate that in Linux, especially since not all distros store all info in the same way (made even more a problem with the new BSD port).

IMNSHO, If you want to use registry, you stick to Windows.  For pure cross-platform, you can still use INI files.  Otherwise, you need to be able to detect what OS you are running under and use whichever method of retrieving/saving info is appropriate.

Jeff.