[lazarus] Help files

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Dec 20 08:43:51 EST 2001

> > > - XML compatible (XHTML DTDs)
> > > - separation of content and format via CSS (great thing!)
> > > - multiplatformness
> > > - plethora of tools for authoring, editing, serving, cleaning,
> > > formatting, ...
> >
> >But one thing is bad : html help need a lot of files (one for each help
> >page), it's a waste of memory on hard drives...
>
> But this matters only for old file systems like FAT32, no? In the worth
> case, the htmls could be zipped.

No. Also *nix filesystems with a large blocksize suffer from this.
NTFS also starts to increase block size when partitions grow larger.

I still don't think that it is worth to pursue something that is not native
on Windows. So either the .HLP I suggest, or we still have to convert the
zipped .htm to something native on Windows. (iow have two sets)

That has nothing to do with bias for Windows, but on *nix there is no
universal help system. KDE and Gnome are unusable, since not universal, and
too heavy for machines that could still run Lazarus, but not KDE (I'd rather
have a browser based solution than)