[lazarus] Translating the website

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri Dec 28 19:23:55 EST 2001

Satan wrote:

> you are working on a new webpage?

Just to give it a new look. A new coat of paint.

> and all translations will have to be done again?

Since many of the facts and details will have changed due to the age of
some of the information new translations will be required.

> then why don't you move lazarus to sourceforge?

Why?

> i think there are really some advantages in doing this (perhaps it can
> help to get some more developers)

And exactly what would those advantages be???

Currently the source for Lazarus is stored on the FPC servers. This way
nightly source snapshots are created in the same way that FPC snapshots
are created. This also means that it is then available on all of the
same ftp mirrors where FPC is available.

The web site is used for information, news, bug reports, etc. Also
nightly builds are done right here in the same office as the Lazarus
server so updates in this fashion are easy.

> i would like to know what you and the other developers think about that

The new site will also have a forum section and opinion polls section.
The point of sourceforge was to make a space available for individuals
that want to run a project and do not have anyplace to actually host the
project. We do.

As to attracting developers, I have given up on worring about that one.
In the years since this project started the number of people registered
on this mailing list has always hovered around 300. Yet out of that 300
less than 10 are ever involved with development. Out of that 10 maybe 4
are regular contributors. Out of the people involved with this project
Shane and myself are the only ones that have been around from the very
beginning.

Besides at one point I even tried to run sourceforge as our user
interface. It wasn't well received and didn't work that well.