[lazarus] New problem compiling

Curtis White cwhite at aracnet.com
Sat Feb 17 15:12:47 EST 2001

Marc Weustink wrote:

> At 10:41 17-02-01 +0000, Curtis White wrote:
> >I found the problem. The following code is missing from the FPCDIR
> >Settings section of the lcl makefile. If I add this in, it works just
> >fine.
> >
> >ifndef PACKAGESDIR
> >PACKAGESDIR=$(FPCDIR)/packages
> >endif
>
> You're right, they are gone. It stil doesn't make sense why the compiler
> needs it. If you have an installed compiler, you don't have a FPCDIR so
> .... you can't set it.

I have been using the compiler from CVS instead of the released
compiler. I tried unsetting FPCDIR and that caused even more problems.
When I set it again and added the above code to those makefiles, it
compiled without any problems.

> Maybe you should install the compiler and point the ppc386.cfg to the
> installed units and not to a dir with sources.
> You only get these kind of errors (while building lazarus) if the compiler
> for some reason wants to recompile a fpc unit. This recompilation only
> occours when both sources and ppus are found.
> The way makefiules are setup now is based upon a release compiler (wo
> sources). So fpc units/packages never ever should be recompiled by building
> lazarus.
> This also count for the other dirs.

I will do this. It will be quite a change in mindset for me since I have
been using this existing (/opt/fpc) setup for quite a long time now :-)
Do the compiler guys ever make changes (bug fixes) to the FIXES_1_0_0
branch anymore? If so, then using the release version will not allow us
to use those changes.

Some day we will need to get Lazarus working with the 1.1 compiler. How
will we do that if the makefiles are setup for the 1.0.5 release
compiler?

Maybe we should create a FIXES_1_0_0 branch for lazarus and set CVS up
the same as the compiler guys have. So the main branch would be lazarus
that works with the 1.1 compiler and the FIXES_1_0_0 branch would
contain the current lazarus. Could this be done? How?

BTW, does anyone know why Lazarus doesn't compile with the 1.1 compiler
anymore?

Curtis