[lazarus] To see what I mean about the traffic

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Feb 27 11:57:28 EST 2001

> > Just to say that I don't think the problems will be worse, but there
> > will be enough problems to warrant a decent setup tool on linux.
> > RPM by itself doesn't qualify in this case, IMHO.
>
> But one thing comes to mind: As the CLX is dual-licensed under GPL, it
> should be possible for distributions to deliver [RPM|deb|whatever...]
> packages?
> Only the Kylix IDE itself will be a problem, as it cannot be rebuilt
> from sources by everybody. But GPL'ed applications could be...

For distributions? Yes. But distributing GPL'ed programs only will make
money for a few people. (the real big projects that can sell support), and
they are not enough to recover Kylix developping-costs, let alone allow
Borland to make a profit.

The professional programmers of any size will have to buy Kylix, and they
will have to distribute their programs, and charge for it.

And a lot of them will have no problems (serverside apps mostly run on
relatively unpatched RH servers), but for the rest (that will write
"consumer" apps, or clients) will have to be more flexible.