[lazarus] Borland and open source commitment [was: Nice talk...]

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Wed Feb 28 17:17:40 EST 2001

Dalton Calford wrote:

> I can tell you that even if you get a commitment from a senior member
> of management at borprise, you can not count on it.  Even the board of
> directors was kept in the dark concerning alot of the actions being
> taken at that time.  Arbitrary decisions and political infighting were
> the order of the day inside borland at the time and I have been given
> no indication that it has changed.
>
> The one thing that has shown true, is that they will take full
> advantage of any marketing benefits they can get while ensuring they
> have full control to the end.

The above is exactly why I am shall we say skeptical about the future
release of a free downloadable version of Kylix.

First off...why wait?

If there isn't any difference as was stated in the show last night and
CLX will be released with just the GPL license and not the "No Nonsense"
agreement then why wait 6 months?

Either of 2 things.

1. They are waiting to see how well it sells from the start. If sales
   aren't that good we will not see a free version. They will not give
   away what they need to make money with.

2. As was indicated above maybe they really do not have a commitment
   from the top brace to actually make a free version. They could be
   hoping to get that commitment or it could be a marketing ploy to get
   people onboard with using Kylix then change their mind making people
   that want to continue to use it, buy it.

I am also somewhat confused by the dual license. If someone makes
modifications to CLX and makes it available aka releases it as GPL does
that mean it no longer cares the "No Nonsense" license. So the minute
someone makes a modification to CLX, that precludes it from being used
commercially????