[lazarus] Are web site translations needed?

Florian Klaempfl Florian.Klaempfl at gmx.de
Mon Jan 22 04:58:07 EST 2001

At 00:49 22.01.01 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I was wondering if the translations of the Lazarus web site are useful
>and if they are needed. The reason I ask is simple. I just received some
>updated translations in French. After installing them I wanted to check
>and make sure I had them correct. Lo and behold what did I find. I find
>that none of the translations were working. Not only were they not
>working but they had not been working for almost 3 months. That is about
>how long ago it was that I had made the code changes that broke it. In
>that whole time no one complained.
>
>So I ask, is this something I should be spending my time on or is it
>just a waste of my time????

A long time ago, I was also thinking about providing a translated
version of the FPC web site but I don't think that this is necessary.
A serious programmer has to known enough English to read at least
the English of a web site.

I think a translated lazarus is more important especially the menus because
this leads to other shortcuts. Example: In German programs the
file is "Datei" thus you can activate the file menu with "Alt-D" instead of
"Alt-F" . I don't know how often I used already the wrong
shortcut. And the stupid thing is that "Alt-F" activates the
window menu because window is "Fenster" in German ...