[lazarus] Win32 Code Analysis

Chris cryst at golden.net
Fri Mar 30 23:23:17 EST 2001

> > started
> > >
> > > We see these 'extensions' as useful :)
> >
> > I don't disagree, however they are not Delphi compatible, which makes it
> > impossible to use Delphi for debugging.
>
> No, it just needs some more IFDEFs, temporarily too afaik, since unit
> aliasing is going to disappear in the long run from Delphi too?

Um, I was talking at this point about the pascal extensions like ++. Lack of
unit aliasing isn't going to help any of the problems with file name
extensions as well. It will probably just make them more pronounced.

> > I understand wanting to be independent but really, it's more useful to
be
> > able to debug your code, which while possible under linux, isn't nearly
so
> > easy under windows.
>
> This has nothing to do with a cramped sense of independance. Delphi is a
> reasonably good product.

No argument there, I would like to use it to help develop FPC and lazarus.

> However, sometimes different choices, and managing developper time
> economically can create things like this. The mere fact that it differs
from
> Delphi already says enough. Most of those differences are choices that
> already had a fair share of discussion about them being different from
> Delphi.

The mere fact that it differs from Delphi already says enough? Very circular
reasoning. I'm saying being different is not in our best interests, your
saying that because it's different it should be.

> > > Using .pp files marks them as files intended for Free Pascal.
> > > This can be an indication that FPC extensions are used, but this can
> > > also be useful for instance to be able to start up a different editor
> > > when double clicking a file in e.g. the windows explorer.
> >
> > Seems  then that what is wanted is not something that is Delphi
compatible,
> > but is compatible only unto itself.
>
> That is not true. What Michael tries to say is that
> the fact that we aren't Delphi itself, while Delphi might be on a
> developpers system already imposes restrictions in FPC.

I very rarly open any ide envioronment by clicking on the file. Not in, C++,
Python or Pascal. The fact that there might be another IDE on your system
that understands the same filename extensions, is a very weak argument for
having different extensions. Especialy when compatiblity between Lazarus and
Dephi is one of the criteria. I have been sitting here on my win32 machine
not contributing because debugging using fpc on a win32 machine is not
possible. (or at least not pleasent).  If I were to be able to use Delphi
I'm sure the development would move much more quickly.

> > > And: The compiler does not name the files; it is the programmer that
does
> > > this.
> >
> > The compiler enforces the names in the uses clause.  I believe this was
the
> > root of all my problems.
>
> That's consistancy :-)

Ok, ok, maybe not ALL my problems. :-)

> > > It is always up to the programmer to code compiler-independent, the
> > compiler
> > > should not enforce anything.
> >
> > By the compiler definition, it will enforce code which is compiler
> > dependent. Using more then one compiler makes the code compiler
independent,
> > which to me seems a worthwhile goal.
> >

> That's theory :-)        Praxis <> Theory :-)

Your lack of experience is showing. I've had plenty of practice, and I know
that when you use more then one compiler on one piece of code, that code
becomes more independent of the compiler. Are  you saying that you have used
more then one compiler on a piece of code and have it become less
independant?

regards,
Chris