[lazarus] native Win32 Interface

Andrew Johnson aj_genius at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 27 11:09:55 EDT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:36:16 -0400
"cryst" <cryst at golden.net> wrote :

>If the whole group had wxWindows at the same level that Lazarus is at with
>gtk then windows support, (and Mac and others as well) would already be
>present. The wxWindows is Open source and could use a nice programming
>environment (like Lazarus)
>to support it.

This would a MAJOR pain, as wxWindows is entirely C++, which means we would
be unable to link it directly with Freepascal 1.0.x, instead all routines
would have to be flattened using C, and then linked in. This is the same
issue being run into with QT, and very likely why no one has cared to work
on the QT port for so long. Also, since the LCL is itself supposed to be an
extensive OOP GUI toolkit, basing it on top of another such toolkit makes
for ultra-large programs. And really this is unnesesary, as most of the time
it would take longer too modify existing code too work exclusively with
wxWindows, then too wait until such time as Lazarus is already fully
functional, and then, if someone wished too, create an interface designed to
use wxWindows, at which time you could hope that C++ linking would be
supported by way of FPC 1.2.X. The only reason Lazarus and the LCL, aren't
more functional is because of the lack of available time to work on it on
the parts of the main developers, switching code mid-gears isn't the
solution to this, more skilled programmers willing to devote their time to
the project IS.

Andrew