[lazarus] gtk vs glut... Newbie Question

andrew johnson acjgenius at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 13 17:49:19 EST 2002

first off window management usually refers to the handling of windows
etc.. aka nothing to do with lazarus..

second GTK+ is a native widget toolkit, whereas glut is not.
so for instance gtk+ apps blend nicely within a GTK+ or GNOME desktop,
glut apps would not.

third lazarus is not intended to be any toolkit specific, so if anyone
wants to make a glut based interface.. they could go right ahead!

fourth programming wise I would say that the bulk of the lcl can be
implemented a lot easier with gtk+ then glut, so it is easiest to get
the lcl and lazarus working using gtk+ as a base, and then as it becomes
more stable(as it has begun too already) add more interfaces such as QT,
win32, GNOME, KDE, XForms, etc..

Andrew