[lazarus] Launching URL in Linux

Wed Dec 25 04:36:14 EST 2002

On 24 Dec 2002, Tony Maro wrote:

> Anybody have a clue of how to launch a URL (local filesystem or
> internet) in the default browser in Linux?
>
> I know I could do a shell execute of "mozilla http://whatever.com/" but
> that will only work if the user has Mozilla.
>
> Any ideas?

There is unfortunately no such mechanism. The 'default browser' does not
exist on linux.
What you can do is try to detect whether the user runs KDE/Gnome,
and run the default browser for these, and if not, let the user decide.

Personally, I would use a 'preferences' dialog to let the user select the
browser he/she wants to use, and set some reasonable default.

Michael.