[lazarus] Some Bugs found

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Feb 18 06:04:26 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:01:12 +0100
> Michal Bukovjan <michal.bukovjan at openone.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, just a side note, if we want to implement full functionality on par
> > with Win32, we will:
> >
> > a) either have to use Gnome
> > b) rewrite portions of Gnome in GTK interface in Pascal
> >
> > Just off top my head, I am referring to toolbars (the GTK one is pretty
> > plain), stock icons handling, common dialogs, bonobo, etc. and I am sure
> > we will run into a lot of other things as well.
> > It's not that I require Gnome, I understand that we would run into some
> > difficulties under Win32 - but for that, there is a Win32 backend.
> >
> > And for those who run KDE and do not really really want to install
> > Gnome, there is the Qt backend which would be extended to KDE as well.
> >
> > Restricting ourselves to GTK/Win32 would leave us behind Win32, as Win32
> > is a monolithic widget set, environement, etc. in one.
>
> You are right in all points.
> Every interface has some special functions, as well as it lacks some functions.
>
> IMO the question is not, what functionality should be supported by lazarus. Of course we want all.
> The question is what should be integrated into the LCL and what should be extra components.
> I think, the LCL should have every function that is supported by most interfaces.
>
> Menu icons are supported by win32, qt, gnome, but not gtk. So, I think, menu icons should be added to the LCL and the gtk interface should simply ignore them.

Ts ts :)
Menu Icons ARE supported by GTK. See my articles on GTK
programming on the FPC website. I think it is the 4th one.

More importantly: I agree with your point, I think that the basic
LCL components should NOT be dependent on any library other than
the basic widget set. It is perfectly possible to make some extra
packages that contain components which rely on GNOME, KDE, or
whatever. People that want to develop for a specific desktop
system can then use these extra components.

Michael.