[lazarus] help format

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jan 23 16:20:37 EST 2002

>   This is my first contribution to this list, though I'm following the
> project from several months ago.
>
>   I think that the help system should be HTML based, I don't think it is too
> much slow. Even, there're some simple-but-fast browsers out there, and we
> can use them if we keep the HTML code simply enough.

Having to install an extra browser pretty much lifts the advantage of HTML.

Editing the HTML directly also isn't nice either, so what advantages are left?

>   Another choice could be PDF files, the reader from Adobe is free (sorry, I
> don't know if there is a version for Linux), and there are some free PDF
> writers.

Slow again, but at least offset by better quality.

Acroread (v. 4 IIRC) exists for Linux, and the Linux version runs on BSD in
the Linux emulation. Could be hard to have the acroread pop up at the
right section though.