[lazarus] More details about Win32 makefile and makefile.fpc problems

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Sun Jan 27 10:51:30 EST 2002

Peter Vreman wrote:

> > There will be times when it will repeat
> > the whole -gl -Fu..... -Fi..... -d386 sequence 3 times
>
> This is a bug. If you know how i can reproduce this i can look at it.

Here is a dump from the compile itself. As you can see it is very long
and convoluted.  {I have edited onto separate lines for readability.

MAKE.EXE[4]: Entering directory `C:/opt/lazarus/lcl/interfaces/win32'
C:/PP/BIN/WIN32/ppc386.exe -dSUPPORTS_RESOURCES
   -gl
   -Fu.
   -Fu./lcl/units
   -Fu./lcl/units/win32
   -Fu./components/units
   -Fu./designer
   -Fu./debugger
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/rtl
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/paszlib
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/fcl
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/gtk
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/regexpr -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/mysql
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/ibase
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/opengl
   -Fi.
   -Fi./include
   -Fi./include/win32
   -di386
   -gl
   -Fu./units
   -Fu./interfaces/abstract
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/rtl
   -Fi./include
   -FU./units
   -di386
   -di386
   -gl
   -S2
   -Sh
   -Fu../../units/win32
   -Fu../../units
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/rtl
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/paszlib
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/fcl
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/mysql
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/ibase
   -Fi.
   -FU../../units/win32
   -di386
   -gl
   -S2
   -Sh
   -Fu../../units/win32
   -Fu../../units
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/rtl
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/paszlib
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/fcl
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/mysql
   -Fuc:/pp/units/win32/ibase
   -Fi.
   -FU../../units/win32
   -di386
   interfaces.pp

MAKE.EXE[4]: Leaving directory `C:/opt/lazarus/lcl/interfaces/win32'

It appears to be remembering and using previous Make level settings as
it goes down in the tree. Again if you call 'make' from the top level of
Lazarus on Win32 this is what happens. At least for me.  :-)

> >Now if I go to the top level and do a 'make ide' it works and doesn't
> > complain about the synedit file.???????  :-\  :-\

I have sorted this out to some extent by using -va during the compile.
The problem seems to rise out of the fact that Lazarus has a file called
'register.pp' AND the fcl has a file call 'register'. Now I didn't look
real deep but I am guessing because of the above weirdness with the
'make' call it is finding different 'registry' files at different times
during the compile.

As to the windres not building issue. I made sure I had the latest
version of make.exe and it didn't act any differently. Here is the exact
output from a make call when lazarus.res does not exist. The same
command made outside of the make environment works just fine. {line
breaks added to make it more readable}

windres -i lazarus.rc -o lazarus.res

GCC.EXE: installation problem, cannot exec 'cpp': No such file or
directory

windres: no resources

MAKE.EXE[1]: *** [lazarus.res] Error 1

Now is this some kind of strange problem with just my setup? I am
inclined to think so since Keith doesn't appear to have this problem and
he is working with Win32.

I did a clean install to a Win98SE system with the latest Win32 snapshot
and a clean checkout of Lazarus and these are the problems I
incountered.