[lazarus] Newbie Q : Can't find classes.pas...

David Creelman dave at geko.net.au
Fri Jun 28 10:37:18 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 00:03, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2002 23:22:29 +1000
> David Creelman <dave at geko.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mattias,
> >
> > Thanks for the pointers.
> >
> > I checked the FAQ and it looked like my path was okay. Tried again and
> > it still didn't work, so I checked the directories that were searched
> > when the compiler ran and the fpc gtk directory (/usr/lib/fpc/etc...)
> > wasn't in there. It was trying to use the lazarus lcl/gtk directory
> > which was empty.... I ended up copying the gtk.pp file into the
> > lazarus/lcl/gtk directory, then it compiled.
> >
> > Now the IDE runs. I managed to change the compiler options under run->
> > and got the demo project to run.
>
> That's nice. But I'm not sure what your error was.
> The lcl/gtk directory should be empty and AFAIK is not part of the search path. So, how can an unit be found there?

> Also you mentioned, that you just copied gtk.pp. I guess you ment gtk.ppu.
Yes.
> What about the other files in the /usr/lib/fpc/1.0.6/units/linux/gtk/ directory?
Yes I couldn't get it to compile until I copied over the .ppu to the
./lcl/units/gtk/ directory. The Makefile didn't seem to find them. I
looked at the directions in the FAQ and everything was okay, so I
thought I'd try copying the .ppus and it worked.....
> Lazarus can't be compiled without them.
>

> > I don't have too much spare time, but I'd like to tinker. What needs
> > doing ?
>
> A lot of things.
> Do you like to help with the IDE (form editing, codetools, source editor, debugger, documentation), the LCL (components, images, docs) or the interfaces (components, images, docs)?
Are events working ? I tried to setup a FormShow event and it didn't
seem to work....

Form editing sounds interesting. There are lots of todos in
customformeditor.pas, the code looks pretty complicated. I'll give it a
go though.

Is this where I'd start looking ?

....Also is there a unit test suite set up ???