[lazarus] Proper Lazarus installation

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon May 20 09:45:57 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 12:42:22 +0200
Satan <das-ende-ist-nah at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2002 11:27:17 +0200
> Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think, the current 'make install' has some drawbacks.
> >
> > 1. The term 'install' is not very good. It is a run only installation without sources.
> > 2. The ppu/o files are splitted up into /usr/local/lib/{lcl,codetools,synedit}. How can the Makefile.fpc be changed to combine them under a lazarus dir?
> > 3. The IDE needs the sources. IMO lazarus is not a standard application which just needs a binary and some resource files. A development environment needs the sources as examples and for coders to look up, what is not documented (that is at the moment nearly everything).
> >
> > So, a proper installation of the IDE is:
> > - the complete source tree
> > - a link to /usr/bin/lazarus
> > - some default option files in /etc/
> >
> > Comments!
>
> sorry for being such stupid, what do you mean with /usr/local/lib/{lcl,codetools,synedit}?
> i don't think i have anything in /usr/local/lib/ and at the moment i do not want any lazarus files to be there

I have changed it to <lib dir>/lazarus/{lcl,codetools,synedit}.
The lib directory is OS dependent and automatically set by fpcmake. I'm also not very happy with /usr/local/lib.

> and of course i don't want any lazarus stuff in my /etc/
> plz enlighten a stupid creature like me and tell me what the problem is with the existing installation process (or is this just an issue for making a lazarus multi-user installation?)

Yep. For multi user.
When the IDE can't find a config file in the user dir, it will copy the template file from /etc/lazarus/ (under linux, see <lazdir>/include/<OS>/lazconf.inc).

Mattias