[lazarus] Proper Lazarus installation

Michal Bukovjan bukovjan at mbox.dkm.cz
Tue May 21 07:05:28 EDT 2002

Satan wrote:

>>These locations should only be used for .RPM package (even though this
>>RPM would not be a part of the distro.
>>

>where do you got the idea that these are only for .RPM packages (btw not every distro uses RPM)?

Sorry for being rpm centric:-) (I am a Mandrake user, hah!)  It of
course applies to any precompiled package.

>quote:
>
>'Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.'
>
>this would mean that your /usr/local/share is ok, but i would like to see it in /usr/share since it is common to install stuff there (and as i quoted there is no difference if it is a package or program)
>i think we should place it just where most people want it
>

>>Locally compiled stuff should always default to /usr/local/share and
>>/usr/local/lib respectively.
>>

>another quote:
>
>[snip]
>
>i don't know if it's better to go the fhs way or the common way

The common way is IMHO FHS compliant, and is what I actually try to say:
if you do a make; make install from a tarball, default to /usr/local*,
any :-) precompiled package should install to /usr*.
At least I think it is common, as about any package I compile defaults
to /usr/local* (only few to /opt, which I hate).
So I think we have the same opinion, including the /share and /lib dirs.

Perhaps autoconf stuff could be used here as well for user to have a
possibiliy to choose.

Michal