[lazarus] Classes and shared objects

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Tue Nov 5 13:39:40 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 06:45, Vasily I. Volchenko wrote:
> As I see, it was a great problem. So, lazarus executables are huge.

I disagree with that.  If you compile without all the debug code, it's
quite small.  My entire CheckBook Tracker application is still less than
2 MB and it's no small application.  It's a heck of a lot smaller than
everything required to run GnuCash with it's library structure.  And
look how many people can't even get GnuCash to run.   If you want a
distributable small executable, uncheck "Display Line Numbers" and check
"Strip Symbols from Executable" in the linking options in Lazarus before
building.

If you start placing things in shared objects that everyone's different
app tries to access suddenly it will look like Linux and you'll have
people whining that "My XYZ app requires version 0.9.8 and my ABC app
required 1.0.3 and they won't work together..."  NOT having required
libraries is exactly what drove me to Delphi and Lazarus to begin with.

-Tony