[lazarus] Lazarus freezes XFree86

Andrew Johnson aj_genius at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 14 19:28:55 EDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:19:14 +0200
"Michal Bukovjan" <bukovjan at mbox.dkm.cz> wrote :

>Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I just tried lazarus on redhat 8.0 and ran into a newbie trap.
>>Hints can freeze your XFree86.
>>If you encounter such freezes then plz deactivate all hints in the IDE:
>>
>>Editor Options -> General -> Show Scroll Hint
>>Editor Options -> CodeTools -> Tooltip symbol Tools
>>Environment Options -> Form editor -> Miscellaneous -> Show component
>>captions
>>Environment Options -> Form editor -> Miscellaneous -> Show editor hints
>>Environment Options -> Desktop -> Hints for component palette
>>Environment Options -> Desktop -> Hints for main speed buttons
>>
>>The last two are sometimes hidden, so plz enlarge the dialog.
>>
>I ran into the same issue when I tried to simplify the
> >showing/hiding/visibility/positioning logic (make it simpler >and more
>Kylix way).

>All was well and working, except that I noticed that when the same hint
>window is showing for *second* time, it will seemingly freeze Lazarus - you
>must be then quick to switch to a text console and kill Lazarus to save
>your X session and a potentional reboot. If you are not quick enough, it
>will freeze your X.

>My guess it is a result of IMHO somewhat complicated visibility handling.

>After many hours looking at it, I decided to scrap my changes and leave it
>as it is :-(

>If you manage to solve this, let us know! I just could not find the error
>:-(

>Michal

This actually happens in Redhat 7.3 too. But for me I can get rid of it just
by calling to a keyboard shortcut, aka ctrl-F, and cancelling out of the
form. And it doesn't usually freeze up everything, though that has happened
to me on a few cases. It happens often enough for me, that I figured it was
a known bug. I may see what I can figure out myself.

Andrew