[lazarus] IDL Parser for libIDL, ORBit & bonobo

Andrew Johnson aj_genius at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 15 07:51:12 EDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:59:23 +0200
"Florian Klaempfl" <Florian.Klaempfl at gmx.de> wrote :

>The only thing I can tell is that the DORB and the MT-DORB (google for
>their homepages :) ) contain a idl2pas
>tool. We're currently working on get these ORBs working with FPC. The main
>problem probably is that
>all these things are 1.1 based. OTOH maybe the GNOME based lazarus port can
>be 1.1 only? I think till
>the end of the year 1.0.8 will be out which will be probably the last 1.0.x
>release. Shortly after
>1.0.8 a 1.9.0 release is planned. It won't replace 1.0.8 but it will be a
>pre/beta release for
>2.0 (1.1 will become 2.0 when it's finished :) ) So it won't hurt if GNOME
>support is 1.1 only.

Actually the GNOME libs themselves were designed to be more cross-platform,
aka they do not require CORBA support directly, so what I have commited will
already work properly with 1.0.x, and I have started looking through to see
which other libs can be ported without this issue, and it looks like the vfs
and ztv (maybe print?) will probably be portable, easily, but nothing else
will without ORBit. So the GNOME interface is already off the ground and
started in CVS. It just means many of the wonderfull frameworks available
via bonobo won't be until 2.x which isn't that big of a deal to me anyway,
because it won't be too long before 1.1 becomes useable, that we can start
having a 1.1 enabled Lazarus with compiler flags(actually there are already
a few in place).

I just despise starting a project and not finishing it, and its bugged me
that several people have started PORTIONS of this port but never all
completely so I plan(ed) and doing it all, even if Lazarus itself doesn't
need everything, because you never know when it will come in handy.

As for  MT-ORBIT, I had already looked at it, and decided it was too
MT-ORBIT specific, that is it would be a pain to make a IDL2PP for any
platform/CORBA based on it. I will look into the other though.

Andrew