[lazarus] Mandrake 9

andrew johnson acjgenius at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 29 09:12:55 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:52:12 +0100
"Michal Bukovjan" <bukovjan at mbox.dkm.cz> wrote :

>Tony Maro wrote:
>>Well,
>>
>>I installed Mandrake 9.0 and got it running...
>>
>>All I have to say is, Gnome 2.0 sux big time.  Now I know why
>>everyone was
>>complaining.  My semi-transparent panels are gone and I can't get
>>rid of
>>that crappy bar at the top.  It's KDE for me, baby!
>>
>>So, I should have Lazarus back installed by tomorrow...
>>
>It can't be THAT bad.

I've been force to upgrade.

It is. Oh is it ever. I thought KDE 1 was the worst, slowest thing ever.
I was wrong. I thought pre-GNOME 1.0 was unstable. It looks the pinacle
of stability next to 2.

>Don't know about semitransparent panels, but I can get rid of the
>top panel quite easily. Just right click and select Delete this
>panel...
>
>Anyway, the version of GNOME2 included is intended mainly for
>developers. GNOME 2.2 is supposed to be the one for users as well.

I can only hope you are right. My bone is that 2 was touted to be faster
cleaner stabler.. it doesn't even come close on any of the areas.
Example. I am running it on a system with 1Ghz 512Mb Ram, 64Mb graphics.
It takes 3 minutes too start GDM. Oh sure thats only the first time.
after that its fast. But I shouldn't have too login in over and over
again, so who cares how fast it is the second/third time! I feel like I
am stuck in Win95.. except that was better. When I first tried it I
figured it was because it was a developers release. Now I have tried the
latest Stable AND Unstable, with several computers and I see no
improvements whatsoever except that now there are even more programs too
crash. And what the !@#$ is Metacity! it crashes every time I close a
non GTK program, and sometimes for no reason whatsoever!

Oh and its ugly too. I liked the GTK 1.x default theme, and there were
at least plenty of themes too choose from.  ;/

Sorry for the non-Lazarus related rant... but arrgh.

Andrew