[lazarus] New component TMCalEdit

Andrew Johnson aj_genius at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 09:45:05 EDT 2002

On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:18:36 +0200
"Michal Bukovjan" <bukovjan at mbox.dkm.cz> wrote:

>The fsStayOnTop cannot be implemented in Linux, as the window manager
>philosophy is quite different from Windows (and I am thankful for that).
>User may choose what window stays on top, not appliaction, and I like it.
>
>But maybe I am wrong and it can be done, you never know.

It CAN be implemented, to a degree, but as you say there is a difference of
philosophy. Theoretically calling X  directly you could create a close
aproximation of it, but in GTK there are only three modes : Normal, Dialog,
and Popup:

Normal is essentially an fsNormal and bsSingle or bsSizeable
Dialog is like fsNormal and bsDialog
Popup is like fsStayOnTop and bsNone

Usually for a control like this calendar, the excepted way on Windows is to
make a borderless stay on top window for the Calendar itself(like Combobox
drop down etc.), and using GDK Popup Window is almost the same, as this is
what is used for  Combobox's and Menu's etc internally in GTK.

Using the set Parent Window routines etc, it is possible to make a form
always stay on top of its parent window as well, and eventually I may try to
do this to try and make a fsStayOnTop where a form will always try and stay
on top of the other forms within an Application Hierarchy. If we were to do
this, and state that when fsStayOnTop and bsNone then use GDKPopup, we might
be able to fake this behaviour most of the time...

Andrew