[lazarus] TStringGrid

Jeff Wormsley daworm10 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 9 19:59:25 EDT 2002

On 9/9/2002 at 11:35 PM Michael.VanCanneyt at Wisa.be wrote:

>No, because also the structure definitions (records etc) have changed,
>and we cannot change these at runtime.
>If it was only the DLL procedure entry points, this could be done, but not
>if the structures change. It's a problem that will occur with all C
>libraries. Annoying, but nothing we can do about it.

Hmm, I suppose I'll have to diff the code to see what you mean.  I've used
some code that provided seamless use of several versions of Paradox, dBase
and Clipper with only one codebase, and the record structures used there
were different.  Of course, this was local tables, not client/server.

I suppose also, you are refering to a native access implementation, not a
TDataset descendant, which would encapsulate much of the lower levels of
functionality, and thus could more easily support multiple versions.  I
don't know how much you've messed with Delphi's TDataset descendants, but
once you get used to the hoops you have to go through to write one, they
are very handy things to have around.  Yes, you are abstracted away from
the lower levels, and so may be sacrificing some of the power, but the
common interface and ability to switch backends almost on the fly can be
very useful.

I guess it just seemed odd in these days of component based programming
that something wouldn't be able to support multiple backends without
recompile, or at least a graceful abort when not compatible.

Jeff.