[lazarus] Corrupted form

Tony Maro tonym at nlisc.com
Thu Sep 19 17:28:23 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 09:03, Tony Maro wrote:

> Anyway, it's fairly consistently happening (during any 4 hours of
> programming) but I can't tell you any one thing to do to trigger it.

I've been watching today and here's what I've learned:

It seems to happen at about the same position of the form resource file
each time.  (around line 86 of the form's lrs file) - I've noticed that
VI will place me right near the position of the error every time I open
the file to fix it.

The more controls on a form the more likely it is to happen.

Adding controls and then drag-sizing and drag-positioning seems to
trigger it, but I'm not sure.

If you delete the affected control, the next control that gets shifted
into that spot is likely to corrupt almost immediately.

I constantly save all and build all when programming, that may affect
it.

It doesn't seem to affect the currently open copy in the editor, but it
DOES affect the built app and the next time you open the editor it will
throw errors.

It is NOT because I have a bitmap or other graphic stored in the
resource.  In fact I even took out all bitbtn's when you guys started
working on the streaming code for bitmaps.

I actually think the editor has detected the changes before because once
or twice when I've had the editor open it has flagged that a file
changed while I had it open even though I hadn't changed anything.

The corruption seems to start in the .lrs file but will ultimately be
mirrored in the .lfm file as well (perhaps the next time you open the
project?)

I hope with my help we can pin this down pretty quick.  The larger my
app gets the worse the problem seems.  I'm about 3-4 working days away
from my first functional release of the checkbook balancing software,
but if this gets any worse I won't be able to finish until it's
resolved.

BTW: I just want to congratulate the whole development team on a job
well done!  For me to have no Linux programming experience and go from
downloading FPC and Lazarus for the first time to a viable finished
product such as this in under 3 weeks is just amazing, even with my
Delphi 4 experience.  I expect to have all the bells and whistles on it
(such as category management, scheduled recurring transactions and
balance forecast graph) within another 2-3 weeks, and multiple account
management and online banking imports within about 5-8 weeks.

-Tony