[lazarus] Error drawing modal window (for Andrew)

Tony Maro tonym at nlisc.com
Sun Sep 29 21:24:04 EDT 2002

I have been randomly getting errors when drawing a modal window.

It doesn't seem to happen every time, and there is absolutely nothing I
do different to trigger it...  I mean it - there is NOTHING I do
different between a time it will crash and a time it won't.  I can't
faithfully reproduce it, but it happens about 30% of the time when
running the application for the first time after build, and seems to
happen 100% of the time when a fresh install on a new machine (I have a
test bed of 5 machines running 3 different versions of Mandrake...)

When launching the modal form (with bsDialog set) sometimes my app
crashes and gives me:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

The "serial" code changes, but the others stay the same.

It only happens the FIRST time I launch the program after build (I
think.)

It happens AFTER the initial flicker of the modal window appearing.

It happens only on the modal form my program launches

By the way... I thought it strange that I launch the program the first
time after build I get the flicker on the modal window of it appearing,
disappearing and reappearing.  I can then close the app completely,
reopen the app and it doesn't flicker.  I can understand it not
flickering on subsequent displays within the same execution of the app -
but I'm surprised it doesn't re-flicker when I launch the program an
entirely separate time.

-Tony