[lazarus] Lazarus to ship with OpenLab 2.0

Shane Miller smiller1 at stvgb.org
Tue Apr 8 14:12:44 EDT 2003

Most cool.  Thanks for the info!

Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: A.J. Venter [mailto:ajventer at direqlearn.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 9:35 AM
To: lazarus
Subject: [lazarus] Lazarus to ship with OpenLab 2.0

Hi all,
Just thought you would all like to know, that when DireqLearn
(http://www.direqlearn.org) ships version 2.0 of our OpenLab thin-client
solution for schools in June, Lazarus will be included as the default
developement enviroment.

This will place lazarus in over 2000 schools across Africa, where it
will be used for computer science classes by almost 18000 pupils.
The computer science curiculim in most African countries does not
include any RAD work, being largely commandline pascal, but doing this
inside lazarus will provide a proper IDE, and a natural road of
progression towards RAD for those pupils who choose to pursue
programming careers later on.

The final shipping will be with most stable version available for the
June launch.

I have been looking at lazarus as a tool for this purpose for some time,
and followed it's developement. I think that lazarus as it stands now,
especially considdering the current rate of developement, is worthy of a
large scale deployment such as this, it may not be quite ready for a lot
of commercial work yet, but that too will come.

I just thought you guys would like to know :-)
--
Story of my life: "Semper in excretum, set alta variant"
A.J. Venter