[lazarus] compiling from CVS

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Apr 29 19:09:17 EDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:37:54 +0200
Anders Ellenshøj Andersen <andersa at fys.ku.dk> wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 April 2003 23:13, Tony Maro wrote:
>
> > And, 1.0.7 is released on the FPC site, just nobody has bothered to
> > update the Debian packages apparently...
>
> This is http://www.freepascal.org/ we are talking about right?
>
> On the front page it clearly states that the latest release is 1.0.6. This
> is also the case for download page including one mirror I randomly
> checked.

The 1.0.6 will celebrate its first birth day in three days.
I wish, the fpc team would release a new version more often, but I know,
that it means a lot of work, which is better spend elsewhere.
Lazarus is using some features of the FCL and the compiler, that are hardly
used by any other program. That's why it finds some bugs first and needs a
fixed fpc version. Writing workarounds would break Delphi compatibility. If
you want a lazarus working together with the fpc release, then you must
checkout a one year old lazarus. I think, the new features of lazarus are a
good price for installing a newer, but unreleased compiler. Especially as
there are tgz, rpm and debs in the lazarus downloads section.
The coming 1.0.8 has good chances to stay the recommended lazarus compiler
for a long time.

> So since it is not released obviously noone has made debian packages of it
>
> yet.

There are debian packages on the lazarus web site for 1.0.7 and 1.1.

Mattias