[lazarus] Display option problem..

Jesus Reyes jesusrmx at yahoo.com.mx
Sun Aug 3 00:53:58 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Marc Weustink <marc at dommelstein.net>
To: <lazarus at miraclec.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 3:31 PM
Subject: RE: [lazarus] Display option problem..

> At 14:24 2-8-2003 -0500, Jesus Reyes wrote:
> >  --- Marc Weustink <marc at dommelstein.net> escribió: > At 12:00

> > > Why not ?
> > >
> > > The idea was that firing up gdb once would gain some time .
> > >

> >Now that it's working I don't see why not ;), however before your
> >fixes, it occured to me that the environment handling would be much
> >easier ;).
>
> The environment was accidently OK. When creating the process, the
> environment of gdb was set. And initially gdb copies it. But what if gdb
> requires a different environment than the debuggee ?
>
> >by the way another question: are you planning to add a debug console,
> >so the user can 'talk' to the debugger?
>
> I've been thinking about it. The debugger class has an option for it, but
> used that only for debugging. One has to know exactly what one is doing,
> otherwise one would interfere with normal operation.
> For instance:
> * setting or worse removing breakpoins
> * executing mi or non mi commands (the parsing of the result difers)
> etc
>
> What commands would you like ?

It's funny, I thought about it because the watches functionality is
unfinished
and I was in the need for that. But as debugging functionality gets
completed
(watches, evaluate, conditional breakpoints, cpu, etc) I don't really see
the
need for it but I'm not a gdb expert, so maybe others can give more
arguments to support or reject the idea.

Some times I just need to set a conditional break point, check some
values and go, some others I had to disassemble one block of code, inspect
some registers, etc. So one thing I would add its flexibility.

More funny, I like the idea more for what I don't know that for what
I know :).

Regads.

Jesus Reyes A.