[lazarus] Newbie Questions

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Aug 4 18:05:22 EDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Marc Weustink wrote:

> At 00:14 5-8-2003 +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>

> >On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Miguel wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > > 3) Can I compile using gtk widgets on win32 ?
> >
> >Many examples work, but the IDE itself doesn't. For me it's an open issue
> >whether this is due to GTK-for-win32 itself or due to the workings of
> >the LCL. I've written other GTK applications with almost all available
> >widgets (so not just 'Hello world') which work perfectly on windows. This
> >indicates that it's the LCL which is somewhere at fault, but the general
> >opinion of the Lazarus developers is that it is GTK-for-win32 which
> >doesn't work correctly. Judge for yourself.
>
> I think it is partly due to the missing GTK functions on the win32 lib.
> Today I tried to compile, but it failed on GTK_WIDGET_SET_APP_PAINTABLE

We must make a distinction between 'not in the GTK unit' and 'not in the
win32 GTK dll'. The former doesn't necessarily imply the latter.

You can uncomment the {$ifndef win32} around the call mentioned above
in the GTK unit, because it is definitely present in the gtk dll.

This is, in fact, true for many of the calls that are still between
{$ifndef win32}...

The problem is/was that many of these calls were ifdefed out because the
initial win32 version of the GTK dlls indeed didn't have these calls,
and this resulted in errors when linking.

But the 1.3 version has almost all calls: fpgtk uses most of them, and
all works fine. (fpgtk was developed on windows, so...)

It's not hard to test: comment all the remaining {$ifndef win32}, see
which ones you must uncomment again to be able to link your
application... If I find time, I will do it myself.

Maybe then lazarus will work on win32 a little faster than expected ;)

Michael.