[lazarus] Freepascal/Lazarus newbie

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Aug 13 17:58:58 EDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:42:43 +0200
Vincent Snijders <vslist at zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:19:25 +0100
> "Kim Boulton" <kim at evolutioncreative.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Lazarus seems very unstable on Win32, I know it's under development
> > although I don't seem to be able to use any of its components without
> > some sort of integer or bounds error happening. Is there something I'm
> > missing here or is that just where Lazarus 'is' at the moment.
> It is getting better almost every day.
>
> > I can't compile, the Environment Settings won't save even if I type
> > the paths in. The default settings in the drop list are *nix format
> > and the path choice buttons don't work as they expect a file, not a
> > folder path.
> Attached patch allows you to specify the compiler executable and sets
> the default path to the fpc default on win32. I can compile simple
> programs now.
>
> Problem was, that ExtractFilePath lets the directory name end with a \
> and FileExists returns false. Worked on linux though.
>
> Shouldn't we use dirsel dialog (recently introduced for find in files)
> for selecting the directories? You can't select a folder in an open file
> dialog on windows, I think.

The dirsel dialog does not support tab and other nice features of the normal
gtk file selection dialog.

What about his:
We add a TSelectDirectoryDialog to dialogs.pp and let the interface decide
what to do. Under gtk it will simply create a normal file selection dialog
and under win32 it will use the dirsel dialog.
After this we can replace the opendialogs in the IDE very easily.

Mattias