[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Aug 22 04:41:16 EDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:13:33 -0400 (EDT)
<tony at maro.net> wrote:

> Realize I'm not really a power programmer when it comes to internal
> workings of the LCL / VCL...  Looking at the source code on this doesn't
> really help me much, I've tried.
>
> So my question is, how close is Lazarus to having data aware components
> such as TDBEdit?

The whole dbctrls.pas does not exists. The FCL part (db.pas and a database)
is there. So, I think, this is the main missing thing.

> Even with the problems on the backend with data connectivity, it would put
> us a step closer and certainly someone could develop a simple text file
> based database component to hook the TDatasource into.

Who is someone? ;)

> Just as I mentioned that adding custom components to the palette would
> really jumpstart Lazarus usage

Eh. Did it?

> (and it wasn't too long before that
> happened) I think it's time we started working on an interim database
> component for simple projects.  Something palette based drag-n-drop.
>
> If you remember, for a while the most common question of new folks (yes, I
> live in the "South") was how to add components to the IDE. Now the most
> common question appears to be "how do I use a database?"

.. not counting the questions, where to find docs and how to install under
win32 ..

> I recall for D4 there were a few freeware text file based TTable
> components... or perhaps something like MyLittleBase could be used with
> data aware components with a little work.

Maybe.

Some notes about dbctrls.pas:
- Long time ago, someone came up with the idea, to add some datalink ability
to TControl, so that implementing data aware controls would be easier. I
don't know, what exactly he had in mind. Maybe someone with more experience
about db controls knows.
- The controls in dbctrls.pas use a lot of messages. This should be avoided,
because the LCL interfaces will implement those special messages at last, if
at all.

Mattias