[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Sat Aug 23 09:03:51 EDT 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2003 04:12:27 -0600
> Tom Lisjac <netdxr at adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> > > ... But we're still
> > > thinking about a good package format. Maybe a mix between fpcmake and
> > > lazarus package manager would be good, if we can make the package
> > > manager in a command-line version.
>
> Peter Vreman had the same idea and I like the idea too. But in general,
> fpcmake and the lazarus package system are quite different. fpcmake is a
> Makefile generator and the other is a graphical dependency manager for fpc
> commands.

Sounds the same to me ? One is graphical, the other not :-)

> A Makefile is file based, supports a lot of macros and uses the
> environment vars. Lazarus otoh is package based, supports inheritance and no
> variable depends on external programs.

I think that it should be possible to create a makefile based on a lazarus
package file, the makefile can then be used to do command-line building.

> So, when combining both systems, we will loose some of the Makefile
> abilities.

In general, we don't use most of the abilities anyway, so this is OK.

fpcmake is not a must for me, but we need something to steer compilation,
independent of the IDE.

Michael.