[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Sat Aug 23 14:39:13 EDT 2003

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Peter Vreman wrote:

>> fpcmake

>> is
>> for

>> inheritance
>>
>> Package based is better for pascal units. Pascal units don't need the
>> Makefile file dependency support. A program that has ppu file knowledge
>> can give that information much better.
>>
>> Having the posibility to run pre- and post-build commands that can do
>> some
>> preprocessing/checking will make a package based tool already very
>> powerfull to do some more complex tasks
>
> I'm all for it. Like I said, fpcmake is not a must, but a command-line
> tool
> is.

I forgot one of the most complex things of the Makefile's: the unix-tools
you need like install/date/echo/pwd. For every platform we have to collect
these tools. The most difficult platform sofar was Windows where we needed
native win32 apps.

Currently the Makefile doesn't support cygwin. Adding support to the
Makefile is not easy because it needs more exceptions to look for
install.exe instead of ginstall.exe etc.