[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Stefan Weber w-e-b-e-r at web.de
Sun Aug 24 07:51:27 EDT 2003

Marco van de Voort wrote:

>>On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe we can make some busybox version in FPC to use on non *nix platforms?

>>>And also because of this.
>>>
>>>So detect ppc386 source, and if os_source=win32 or go32v2 (and maybe others),
>>>INSTALL=mybinary -i
>>>PWD= mybinary -p
>>>
>>>etc etc.
>>>?
>>>

>>Agreed with all these difficulties. But what is the conclusion ?
>>Make a complete new tool which does everthing itself,
>>based on/compatible to the lazarus package tool ?
>>

>Keep using make, but replace all other utils on non unix systems.
>
>If we really would replace make, it would become a huge effort, with a hard
>transition time.
>
>I think we should regard FPC and Lazarus as stuff that only
>developpers/maintainers build (using make),
>while lazarus packages are typically made by users.
>
>It is natural to keep that apart.

Reading this, I would suggest having a look at
http://www.suigeneris.org/want/ as a build tool.

Want is XML based, written in Delphi and does its job quite well. One
major advantage of
Want is, that is does not depend on shell commands.

On the downside its written using Interfaces here and there, which makes
porting to FPC a little
more work than usual. Maybe we could use a Kylix/Delphi version until
FPCs Interfaces
implementation is stable (its in 1.1, isn't it?)

What do you think?

-Stefan