[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Aug 24 08:23:20 EDT 2003

> >while lazarus packages are typically made by users.
> >
> >It is natural to keep that apart.
> >

> Reading this, I would suggest having a look at
> http://www.suigeneris.org/want/ as a build tool.
>
> Want is XML based, written in Delphi and does its job quite well. One
> major advantage of
> Want is, that is does not depend on shell commands.

I don't like XML for manual editing. I prefer .ini files, or keyword
based config files over them.

Also the system requirements must be really low (preferably depend on RTL
only, and _maybe_ on classes)

> On the downside its written using Interfaces here and there, which makes
> porting to FPC a little
> more work than usual. Maybe we could use a Kylix/Delphi version until
> FPCs Interfaces
> implementation is stable (its in 1.1, isn't it?)

Needing 1.1 to compile isn't that bad I think, but transfering without
having it run under FPC native is absolutely out of the question.

Licensing and the fact that FPC is more than just Delphi/linux-i386 (and a
few major linuxes only even).

> What do you think?

There don't seem to be much docs, so it is hard to say.

I see a lot of units that import windows or VCL/CLX classes though.