[lazarus] Object inspector edit/combobox

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Aug 26 11:27:26 EDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:02:16 +0200
Micha Nelissen <M.Nelissen at student.tue.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why the following code?
>
>      ValueEdit.Parent:=Parent;
>      ValueComboBox.Parent:=Parent;
>      ValueButton.Parent:=Parent;
>
> Why not set the parent of these controls to the eventgrid/propertygrid
> which is much more logical IMHO. If the eventgrid and it's valueedit
> have the same parent, they're fighting for the z-order, while the
> valueedit should be on top, no?

The Object Inspector is an old control, dating from times, where the LCL was
very buggy and only the very basic properties worked. In this case: Not long
ago a TCustomControl was not able to hold childs in the gtk-intf.
Because the object inspector is a standalone control, that can be used for
debugging, I think, we should keep it robust and basic (as all general IDE
parts), so that any new interface will find it easier to get the IDE
running.
The OI creates the grids before the edit controls, so that the grids should
ly below them. If the win32 intf is not able to keep the z order, then I
wonder how the VCL achieves it.
Maybe something is recreating the grid handle?

Mattias