[lazarus] Sourceforge...

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Sat Aug 30 11:55:33 EDT 2003

On 30 Aug 2003, Tom Lisjac wrote:

> Just to clarify, the idea of creating a Sourceforge component repository
> wasn't intended to compete with the existing sites.

Understood that.

> The development model for converting components is quite different. It
> would work well with short commitments for small projects from a large
> developer pool of varying skills... the more the better! Sourceforge has
> an advantage here because it provides a lot of automation that supports
> the management of multiple developers and tasks. The less time the core
> team spends managing, the more code they'll be able to write.

Very true. In most cases a component conversion can start and be done in a
matter of weeks if all of the tools are available in Lazarus and the FPC.
It would add extra effort to the current web site.

As was indicated this allows for bug tracking and CVS etc for each
individual little project just for the time period that it is alive.

However what we can do is link all of the projects "Home Pages" to the
main web site. I can create a projects database that will list all of the
ongoing projects available with discription, yadda, yadda. That way they
can all be easily found from one location. It also means that when the
component is complete the sourceforge site can be taken down but the "Home
Page" location for the component can still exist.

I can also add some forum categories for projects so they can be discussed
there.

> Sourceforge and Freshmeat also provide a press release system that could
> help to attract new users and developers. Thousands of techies drink
> their morning coffee while browsing these sites. Each new component
> release would be an opportunity to introduce them to Lazarus and FPC.

Even though I can also provide the CVS for the projects the above alone
would make it worth while to do this on sourceforge. Anything to help get
the word our and bring in more support.

> Comments, suggestions and participants are welcome.

If you want to do the "Home Page" thing as I have outlined I can setup the
database and pages so that it is ready to link to projects as they
develop.

Talk at you later,

Phone: 570-388-2211  Fax: 570-388-6101