[lazarus] Install Error ?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Dec 27 09:30:32 EST 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:23:27 +1000  prologic at shortcircuit.net.au (James
Mills) wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 12:08:36PM +0100, Micha Nelissen wrote:
> > James Mills wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >/usr/bin/fpcmake -p -Tlinux Makefile.fpc
> > >Processing Makefile.fpc
> > >Error: Target "linux", package "rtl" not found
> > >make[1]: *** [fpc_install] Error 1
> > >make[1]: Leaving directory
> > >`/home/prologic/programming/temp/lazarus/lazarus/lcl'
> > >make: *** [lcl_install] Error 2
> > >
> > >is that suppose to happen ?
> >
> > Normally, you don't have to run fpcmake yourself, a good Makefile is
> > already in cvs.
>
> This happens when I do a:
> make install
>
> Any ideas why ? Or is the "install" rules not complete yet ?

Not complete yet.

The normal user expects something like './configure', 'make', 'su', 'make
install'.
So, the 'make install' should only install the files. But at the moment no
install rules were created, so fpcmake generates defaults rules, which
recompiles everything, recreates the Makefiles and then installs by
distributing lazarus over your harddisk.
For normal programs/libs, this makes sense, but not for lazarus.

I think, we have at least two possible installation candidates:
1. Install the development environment
2. Install only the units (ppu files)

For 1. the lazarus directory should only be copied to /usr/share/lazarus (or
something like that). Maybe install some kde/gnome menu items and sym links.
For 2. the LCL, synedit should be copied as packages into the fpc tree.

Any volunteers?

Mattias