[lazarus] Package installing...

tony at maro.net tony at maro.net
Thu Jun 5 21:30:22 EDT 2003

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>Hmm. Strange. Where did the compiler know the include path?

Got me.  Here's another odd one for you...

I took all my custom components and turned them into two packages.  I
then removed them from the components/custom directory and removed the
compiler flag for custom components.

I then compiled and installed my two packages.

I can create a brand new project, drop any of these components on the
form and compile and run immediately.  No problems... even without
having to add paths to the compiler setup.

However, if I open the CBT project that references these components,
some of the components will actually disappear from the palette in
Lazarus (not clickable, and empty space left where they were) and the
order of all the components in the palette changes. - note that when I
describe this.  I just double checked and I lose: One component from the
SynEdit tab.  Two components from the CheckBook tab, and three
components from the TMPack tab.  Those are my last three palette tabs,
in order.  Other components don't seem affected.

I had other problems until I moved the "interfaces" unit to be first in
the project file uses (it was later down the list.)  CBT will also not
compile, saying it has no sources for "checkbook.pas" yet if I
CTRL-click the entry in uses, it takes me right to it.

Since CBT was started back last September before much of the IDE existed
as it is today, no doubt it has become quite a bear and needs to be
recreated from scratch... that's one of the reasons I've component-ized
most of it lately and designed it to work with the packages.  But can
you give me a tip of what I might look for that's causing the strange
behavior?  Nothing out of the ordinary is dumped to the console by
Lazarus when the components vanish from the palette.

Before I put "interfaces" as first in the project file, it seemed the
dropped items from the palette would sometimes change based upon what
form I had open.  Now it doesn't do that anymore... it's static across
all forms in the app.

I tried recreating the project file from the .lpr, but it recreates the
problem right with it.

Thanks,

-Tony