[lazarus] is there a font problem?

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Mon Jun 9 01:12:19 EDT 2003

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>The font support of the gtk-interface is not complete. And of course it is a
>lot of work to complete it. Maybe you can tell me the exact fonts and
>features you need and I can try to improve some things.

What I found is that all fonts by default try to go with the user's GTK
theme, but if you try to programmatically change a font, they don't
change.  Unfortunately many people don't have a real working GTK theme
(users of only KDE for instance), making it hard to read.  I've had some
users be able to work around this by creating a .gtkrc file by hand.

When I designed the checkbook control for CBT I learned that custom
drawing my own fonts onto the control's canvas worked perfect though...

Specifically it would be nice if the TLabel component would respond to
custom font definitions instead of only the GTK theme default.  That
would make headers and such easier to create, and the labels would be
more predictable in relation to size and spacing, even if not quite
gnome compliant.

-Tony