[lazarus] is there a font problem?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Jun 9 04:13:05 EDT 2003

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:34:26 -0400
Tony Maro <tony at maro.net> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
> >The font support of the gtk-interface is not complete. And of course it
> >is a lot of work to complete it. Maybe you can tell me the exact fonts
> >and features you need and I can try to improve some things.
> >

> What I found is that all fonts by default try to go with the user's GTK
> theme, but if you try to programmatically change a font, they don't
> change.  Unfortunately many people don't have a real working GTK theme

Only the user can decide, if he has a working theme. Not the application.

> (users of only KDE for instance), making it hard to read.  I've had some
> users be able to work around this by creating a .gtkrc file by hand.

That's the intended way. With a .gtkrc all gtk programs will become usable,
not just yours.
The gtk-interface also loads automatically rc files of the form
'<application>.gtkrc'. So, you can provide a checkbook.gtkrc.

I think, if a user has installed a gtk theme, then a gtk application should
use it. Only if the default is bad and the user is too lazy or does not know
how to install a theme, then there can be an option to override the default.
Either a command line option and/or LCL function.

> When I designed the checkbook control for CBT I learned that custom
> drawing my own fonts onto the control's canvas worked perfect though...

yes

> Specifically it would be nice if the TLabel component would respond to
> custom font definitions instead of only the GTK theme default.  That
> would make headers and such easier to create, and the labels would be
> more predictable in relation to size and spacing,

True.

> even if not quite gnome compliant.

Mattias