[lazarus] .po encoding

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Jun 10 09:04:58 EDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:27:49 +0200
Marco Ciampa <ciampix at libero.it> wrote:

> During translation of lazarus .po files in italiano I've just noted a
> fiew things:
>
> 1) lazarus main .po file contains many duplicated strings, is it
> correct?

Yes, the rstconv program creates doubles. But the update script localize.sh
removes the doubles from the translated po files, so you can simply ignore
the doubles in the base po files.

> 2) what is the default/should-be/better encoding for po files?
> Gnome project has UTF-8 and I think it could be a good choice

Hmm. This will probably result in making some things unreadable on old
systems. But I don't know how unreadable. For me UTF-8 is ok.

> 3) why most of .po files has no encoding headers?

Probably lazyiness. Feel free to send me fixed versions.

Mattias