[lazarus] Fixing lazarus for Win32

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Jun 22 07:29:35 EDT 2003

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Szekeres Istvan wrote:
>
> This is what I meant in my other mail: User events are not communicated.
> I think that if this can be fixed, there should not be a problem in getting
> Lazarus to work. That's why I don't think it will be 'weeks' or 'months'.
>
> (of course, after that there will probably be a lot of debugging necessary,
> but essentially, lazarus should work)
>
> The best way I think is to see why the simple apps don't work (you can use
> the insight debugger that comes with cygwin for this) and fix that. After
> that Lazarus will probably function as well.

What _is_ the easiest app for this? The examples dir examples are all 700- 1 MB
each.  I ask this because I'll have to debug NetBSD Lazarus.

I tried to smartlink lazarus, but LD can't handle it:
Linking ./lazarus
./lcl/units/libpgrids.a: could not read symbols: Memory exhausted
lazarus.pp(326) Error: Error while linking
Closing script ./ppas.sh
gmake[1]: *** [lazarus] Error 1

Probably there are simply too many symbols. It is not even "close", since it
is exhausted at the 80th .a, while there are about 250 .a's in the link.res
of Lazarus, and at that point it already eats up my 512 MB ram.

bash-2.05b# ld --version
GNU ld version 2.12.1 [FreeBSD] 2002-07-20
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

The examples can be smartlinked though, and then are typically 760-1060 kb
(testall is larger) (normal size is 1-1.3 MB, so smartlinking shaves off
about 33%) Linker eats between 100-120 MB and 150 MB (edittest and testall)