[lazarus] Clean build from nothing

Tue Jun 24 16:38:08 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, cryst wrote:

> My education continues....
>
> :)
>
> I thought for sure that I saw some C files.  OK so I need FPC installed
> before I install FPC. I understand that now. I'll start again from scratch
> tonight and make notes of what I do. (and were I had to backtrack). I'm
> going to try for fpc 1.0.8 from the CVS since it is so near release any
> differences between what I get and what the release is should presumably be
> small.
>
> I am shocked that FPC doesn't use libc at all. More then that FPC doesn't
> use any C code to build itself. Is this by design? Why avoid all that good
> code? I assume there is a provision for FPC to interface with C isn't there?

And have to update each time the libc interface somehow changes ? No thanks !
It can usually be hidden for C programmers with some macro tricks, but not
for FPC. Not to mention that there may be differences between various
platforms... (irresistably, I am forced to think of MS Windows ;-) )

So we want the compiler and fpc programs to be able to run independent of any C
library.

Of course, this doesn't mean you cannot use C libraries (or THE C library);
Lazarus wouldn't exist otherwise: they use GTK.

In fact, to be able to compile Kylix programs, I am now converting the C
library headers to a unit. So you will have the full power of the C library
at your disposal if you so desire...

Michael.