[lazarus] circular unit reference

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.net
Sat Nov 15 08:14:09 EST 2003

At 14:10 15-11-2003, rstar at mnet-online.de wrote:
>Florian Klaempfl wrote:

>>>Yes, this would be the easiest way for a LCL developer but it is no real
>>>solution. Or would you say to a customer: "Please delete a
>>>file for a successful compilation" ? And what is if the the developer
>>>wants to migrate to Linux? "With" the deleted file he must
>>>download the LCL again if he has not backuped the file.
>>>I think the solution I've chosen for the Delphi port is better than
>>>deleting a file.
>>
>>No. The final solution is to move the messages.pp to the lcl/nonwin32
>>dir, however the lazarus developers didn't do this yet.
>
>The current thread shows that there a always problems with
>includes, paths, circular refereces etc.

Not allways, only this time.

>One of these guidelines might be helpful:
>
>- Don't use includes (all in one file); example: CLX from Borland

This will be a pain to maintain. THere are even some other files on my
whishlist to get splitup in several .inc files.
Working on your own on one big file is ok, working with others often result
in conflicts during merge.
Besides that, it is often hard to find where several routines are.

>- Use #ifdef "target" for platform specific things

Thats already the case where necesary. Further, sometimes different inc
files in platform dependent dirs are more readable than pieces of code full
of ifdefs.

>- One person is responsible for a file
>   (it seems that the lcl stuff is managed by different persons)

This will conflict with your first statement. Now only fewer ppl kan
maintain it.

>- Use .pas extension only

What has that to do with it. I found the idea behind it as Mattias explained.

Marc