[lazarus] Help files???

John The Ripper ripper at arsis.net
Tue Nov 25 16:38:49 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 21:36, Martin Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 17:42, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 17:37, John The Ripper wrote:
> > > Question:
> > > I just wonder if there already is some parsing code done for me to use
> > > in my help viewer,
> >
> > Yes, there is a documentation tool that creates XML structs from this.
>
> Documentation for the documentation tool...
> http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/fpcdoc/fpdoc/fpdoc.html
>
> John, I'm looking into this now, you can contact me off-list
> if you want. Though I'm just starting, so I might not be of
> much ... help ... :*)

Says that output is only (don't take this only in offense),

HTML
        Plain HTML. Javascript is used to be able to show a small window
        with class properties or class methods, but the generated HTML
        will work without JavaScript as well. Style sheets are used to
        do the markup, so the output can be customised.
XHTML
        As HTML, but using a more strict syntax.
LaTeX
        LaTeX files, which can be used with the fpc.sty file which comes
        with the Free Pascal documentation. From this output, PDF
        documents can be generated, and with the use of latex2rtf, RTF
        or Winhelp files. Text files can also be generated.

Plans exist to create direct text output and RTF output as well.

is there any way to create simple XML aka. I was having something like
this in my mind

<UNIT>
	name.....
	<VARIABLES>
		<declarations>
			<help text>
			<example>
			<user created examples, notes etc.>
		</declarations>
	</VARIABLES>
	<OBJECTS>
		<declarations>
	</OBJECTS>
</UNIT>

Basically viewer should support subbranches as help options to that
type. System help files in fpc help files, and user editable copies in
$HOME/.fpchelp, and viewer should display both as one. some
rebuild_help_index for newly copied files in helpdir. with such tool
anybody could help writing and updating help files and mainainer could
simply join them in one original system help file.

That's at least help type as I would need

I can even make some mockup how do I think it should be if there's any
interests in this.